Send your Resume & Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Assistant Editor will report to the Managing Editor and the Governing Board.
The Assistant Editor performs a variety of tasks to support the Managing Editor and the Governing Board through reporting on matters of local interest for the print issue and e-news writing and updating content for the website and social media handles of the PRT. A successful candidate would be able to perform both the editorial and technical aspects of the job, with a willingness to collaborate on other organizational efforts during the year such as fundraising and hosting community events. This position fills a critical need for our small nonprofit newsroom, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic and its continuing impact. The ideal candidate is a resident in Eastern Santa Cruz county (Patagonia, Sonoita, or Elgin/Canelo).
Part-time, flexible. 40 hrs a month @ $20 an hour to start.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Attend and coordinate editorial team meetings (for 10 issues per year) in which the story list of the print issue is decided upon. Report monthly on average on 4 to 6 items on the list and monthly event calendar.
- Regularly communicate (by phone and email) with the Managing Editor on storylist, bi-monthly e-newsletters, and breaking news.
- Assist Managing Editor with pre-print publication in Adobe InDesign.
- Manage the calendar of events in print issue and update free local and public events on PRT’s google calendar.
- Write content and regularly post on social media handles for the PRT to engage with audience.
- Create bi-monthly newsletters on Mailchimp with the support of Managing Editor and Admin. Assistant.
- Maintain, update and create new content for the PRT website.
- Follow website and social media analytics.
- Support the fundraising committee in the Governing board and be part of the Newsmatch campaign during Nov-Dec 31 every year.
- Participate in grant writing.
- Self-starter, independent and motivated individual with an ability to write and edit.
- Experience in journalism and journalistic style of writing is an asset.
- Extremely competent computer skills with the confidence to learn new skills once hired.
- Website design knowledge is a plus.
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign software and Adobe photoshop preferred.