The “road to flowing wealth” was partly laid in an Elgin field, claimed Nogales Oil & Gas Company in 1922. What happened next?
The weekly Santa Cruz Patagonian was published from December 1912 to July 1929. It had five owners during its 17 years of existence. J. B. Price and Wilfred Waddell, “two newspapermen from Douglas” established the newspaper to bring the news to the rapidly growing community of Patagonia. [The Oasis, 11/30/1912]. In September 1917 Howard Keener, […]
At left, Charles and Carmen Mapes with eldest son John, circa 1911. At right, Charles and Grace Mapes. Photos courtesy of Ancestry.com The scrapbook titled “Pioneer Park Names of Pioneers and Donors of Trees” is dedicated to Charles J. Mapes. The unsigned dedication statement states, “He was the first person in Patagonia that was ecology-minded. He […]
A spotlight on the Patagonia pioneers’ family history.
Part three of the Sunnyside story, begun in the January PRT.
Continuing the story of the followers of charismatic preacher Sam Donnelly and his Sunnyside mining community.
In 1888 a Christian mining commune was established in Sunnyside Canyon on the western slope of the Huachuca Mountains. Here’s what happened next.
Victor and Maggie had nine children between 1881 and 1898. In 1900 a very public rift occurred in their marriage when Maggie moved to Bisbee to open a boarding house.
O’Donnell Canyon in Canelo is most likely named after brothers Anthony and Patrick O’Donnell, who lived there in 1893. This is their story.
Parker Canyon bears the name of an Arizona pioneering family who moved to the San Rafael Valley around 1881. This is their story.